How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenured professor at a public university. I am 68

Customer Question

I am a tenured professor at a public university. I am 68 years old. I am interested in applying for my Social Security monies now. If I do so must I also get Medicare Part A, or can I still continue to get my same health insurance from the university?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Medicare Part A is free and you do not need to apply. But the longer you wait the longer you will be penalized after you apply.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This did NOT answer my question. If I apply for my social security monies now, does that affect my health benefits that I receive from my employer. That is must I start Medicare Part A if I get social security monies, or can I keep my present health benefits from my employer, the university, as they are presently?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 months ago.

Every insurance policy is different with different set of rules. You will have to check with your employer how your Medicare eligibility will affect you benefits. You do not have to apply for Medicare if you do not want to but your employer may cancel the policy if you become eligible and you do not apply.