How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told at a local Social Security office that if I

This answer was rated:

I was told at a local Social Security office that if I wanted to begin retirement benefits next year, I would have to apply no later than November 15th, as there is a blackout period from then until the end of the year.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I became 62 in September, but the same rep also told me that I have already made too much money this year, so I cannot collect this year at all.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Are you still working? If you are and earn a significant wage (more than $15,720 for the year) you should under no circumstances apply for social security before full retirement age. At full retirement age, this penalty will no longer apply and you can earn an unlimited amount of money through work. Before that time, you will be penalized $1 for every $2 over $15,720. Before even think about filing, you need to answer that question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, unfortunately, I already filed. I do plan on not making more next year than the 15,720. limit next year.

Has it been within 12 months of your initial filing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I filed on Sept 22nd.

You filed on September 22 of this year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about a week after my 62nd birthday.

"You may cancel a request to withdraw an application if you file a written request at a proper place (see §1505), and the claimant is alive at the time you file the request for cancellation. For a cancellation request received after we approved the withdrawal, you must file the request no later than 60 days after the date of the notice of approval." See link:

See link for form to withdraw:

You will have to repay any amounts paid to you from SS but you will not get the early retirement penalty and can re-file if approved for withdrawal of application when you have less income. This would probably be a good thing for you to consider. There is not a blackout period but it is recommended that you file your application at least 60 days in advance of when you would like to receive your benefits (I would recommend 3 months).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I originally filed on line; can I also withdraw online?

No, you need to mail them the form I linked and cannot do it online. See SSA link for more detailed information:

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found Mr. B very helpful, he answered my questions much better than the Social Security rep did, that's for sure. I would contact him again.

There should be a way for you to manually click on stars or happy faces. Click on this link and it will show you exactly how to rate:

"You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer. If the stars are grayed out or you cannot click on the stars to rate your experience, reply to your Expert and let them know so they can adjust your question and allow you to rate."

Thank you!

Christopher B, Esq. and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you