How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know how I go about file and suspend my social

Customer Question

I want to know how I go about file and suspend my social security and receive 50% of what my husband gets. He is on SSDI. I will be 66 in February and want to start collecting my SS at that time. I cannot find anywhere in the website how to do this, only to apply for myself on my earnings alone.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband has been on SSDI for about 5 years, but will not be at full retirement age, age 66, until July 2017
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot file and suspend your benefits after April 30, 2016 any more. But I think that's not what you want to do. If you want to apply for lower spousal benefits and let your own grow until 70, you will need to file a "restricted application", no file and suspend. File and suspend means no benefits at all. If your own benefits are lower than your spousal benefits (50% of your husband's benefits), you can apply for spousal benefits online or by calling social security directly.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Any questions?

If you want to apply for restricted application I would suggest to call instead of applying online, to make sure that you don't apply for your own by accident.

Here's how you can apply: