How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3822
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get SSI if a Life Estate deed with my mother.

Customer Question

Can I get SSI if my name is ***** ***** Life Estate deed with my mother.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Some assets, like the home you live in, will not be counted when determining your eligibility for SSI if you meet certain requirements. This is is called the "home exclusion."

To be eligible for the home exclusion, you must own the home. To qualify for this exclusion, you can hold title to the house by yourself, share the title with others, or even have an equitable interest in the property (more on this below). In addition, the home must be your primary place of residence. Your principal place of residence is the house you live in that you consider as the primary place you live (where you go back to stay on a regular basis). Your home can be a mobile home or fixed home and can be on either land or water (like a houseboat).

The following link contains excellent information with you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,