How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 74 and collect SS from my own SS#. A friend of mine

Customer Question

I'm 74 and collect SS from my own SS#. A friend of mine collects on her own SS# ***** but she also collects half of what her deceased husband would have gotten.Am I ellgible to collect half of what my deceased husband would have gotten?Thanks.
Lillian C. Gorsuch
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Lillian,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your friend is mistaken, and she does not collect both her own full benefit and a full survivor benefit (or half of what her husband's benefit was). If her husband's benefit was greater than her own when he passed, then she is collecting her own benefit plus "part" of her husband's benefit in order to equal 100% of the benefit her husband was receiving at his death.

If your husband's benefit was greater than yours at the time of his death, then you too qualify for a survivor benefit that will pay you the equivalent of 100% of his full retirement benefit that he was receiving. This survivor benefit, like your friend's will be composed of your retirement benefit and a part of your husband's---but not necessarily half.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,