How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died one month ago. I want to collect his SS.

Customer Question

My husband died one month ago. I want to collect his SS. What do I need to do?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

First, I am so sorry about your loos. Just to make clear. Nobody can collect your husband's social except him. But you are entitled to what's known as widows benefits - YOUR benefits based on HIS records. You can collect widow's benefits as soon as 50, soon if you are disabled or taking care of his child. You cannot apply online, you have to call SSA at 1-***-***-**** to make an appointment at your local SS office.