How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I applied for social security benefits to start January

Customer Question

If I applied for social security benefits to start January 2017, and I decide I don't want to quit work yet, can I cancel my application and apply at a later date?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you have not received an early retirement benefit for at least 12 months, you are free to cancel your retirement application at any time. The only caveat is that you must pay back to social security all benefits that they paid to you up to the point that you cancel.

So, for example, if you think that you may want to retire and collect social security beginning in January, 2017---which would make your first benefit deposit in February (social security pays a month in arrears)---if you applied today to get that set up and then in December changed your mind and want to continue to work earning more than $15,720 per year, then you may notify social security that you are cancelling your application. No benefits will be disbursed and you will be able to start again at a future date and still earn the increases in benefits that come with waiting until full retirement age to apply for your retirement.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,