How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to provide child care for my daughter's baby. I also

Customer Question

I want to provide child care for my daughter's baby. I also need one more quarter of working for a social security employer. Can my daughter pay me and I take out social security and taxes in order to qualify for that last quarter. How many hours is a quarter and will she have to pay me minimum wage? Will she have to be an official employer or can I take out the social security and taxes on my own?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good evening Erin,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 30 years, and I handle social security law issues like yours.

Getting a quarter credit is not based on the number of hours that you work, or what your wage is. In 2016, you must earn $1,260 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit. So if you work in 2016 for your daughter and are paid at least $1,260 in wages from which social security taxes are withheld, then you will gain the last quarter of credit that you need to qualify for social security benefits as well as Medicare.

If you work as an independent contractor (which means that your daughter will not have to withhold taxes from your income)---a self-employed babysitter---so long as you claim the income on your tax return and pay self-employment taxes---that is all you will need to qualify for the last quarter of credit that you need to qualify for social security benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Erin,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,