How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37683
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The annual income record shown on "my social security" is

Customer Question

the annual income record shown on "my social security" is inconsistant and significantly lower than my actual income that I paid socia security on. How do I go about getting this corrected and my social security benefit adjusted?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My 5 year averge income before I retired was 104000/year while the my socil security record shows a 5 year average average of 77,746 per year. None of the yearly incomes track.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I retired in 1992 and just checked the numbers so this has been going on for a long time.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The income that social security claims that you earned is just the income that was FICA taxed, and because each year there is a maximum amount of your income that can be taxed for Medicare and social security, if you were a high wage earner back in the 90's, then what appears on your income report with social security won't necessarily match your true income.

For example, in 1991, only $53,400 of your income would have been FICA taxed, even if you earned $100,000. In 2000, the amount subject to FICA tax was $76,200.

Here is a link to a chart of the income taxed by year for FICA:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,