How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Were do I apply. I am disabled and already get a monthly

Customer Question

were do I apply. I am disabled and already get a monthly check but I was told the amount could increase due to my child.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told to look into this because my wife could get 300 dollars a month for our daughter because i am already receiving a money amount so I have paid into SS
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i have just returned to work
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify? You say you are disabled and getting a monthly check, but later you say you have returned to work. Have you recovered?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I haven't recovered I am in the process of buying a home so I need to return to work The air is nothing confusing about this I am back at work and I will see it so security disability check every month
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

How much are you earning, gross, per month?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, I haven't fully recovered. SS sent me a form to return to work I went to Vocational Rehab take advantage . Plus, I'm building a house. i was retired from the Corps. Learn about3,000 a month there. and i have been appointed a Presidential Fellow where I earn about 3,000 plus, I get 2,000 from SS a month
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

OK, the SSA does not require full recovery to find that one has improved enough to go back to work and earn "SGA" (substantial gainful activity). As such, earning $3000/mo will disqualify you from SSD - at first, it may be considered a trial work period, up to a total of 9 months in a rolling 5 year period. However, you could also be found medically not disabled if you can now do what you couldn't do before. It is possible that you collect SSD that they will find you were not eligible for, and you will have to return the money.

That said, when you lose SSD because you are now able to work in a substantial gainful manner, your child will not be eligible for any benefits. If you stop working before you work to much to be eligible, and don't lose your benefits, then yes, your child may be eligible for a max of 50% of your benefit amount, subject to family max (so if other dependents are taking on your work record, they must share the balance of the family max).

I hope this helps clarify the risks of working and when the child will be eligible for a dependent benefit. Feel free to follow up if anything remains unclear.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!