LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If a person receives Social Security and he is totally

Customer Question

If a person receives Social Security and he is totally disabled because of Parkinsons, can the person that cares for him receive any monetary benefits for taking care of him from Social Security?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The person is renting a room from me, however I do take care of him, such as driving him to doctors appointments, cook most of his meals, laundry, help him with exercise prescribed by his doctors at Kaiser, etc.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no, I don't think so.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social security has no provision to pay anything such as caretaker benefits to someone who happens to assist an SSDI beneficiary with daily living activities. If the SSDI recipient need assistance, they are expected to privately pay for those services.

If this SSDI recipient is a military Veteran, there may be a benefit available, but that would be through the VA and not through social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug