How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know my ex-husbands social security amount, His

Customer Question

I need to know my ex-husbands social security amount
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: His name is***** His SSN is###-##-#### We were married over 22 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: My name is***** My SSN is###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Judith

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under federal law, no one except your ex, and not even social security has the legal right to tell you what your ex's retirement benefit is. This is a financial privacy right under the law and because of that law, no one can tell you the benefit amount that your ex is receiving.

About the only reason you would have need of knowing that information would be for applying for an ex-spouse benefit, or for purposes of garnishing his benefits for arrears of spousal support or child support.

I suspect you simply need to know whether you will benefit by taking an ex-spouse retirement benefit. As I said, social security cannot legally provide you with the specific benefit amount that your ex is getting. However, if you apply for an ex-spouse benefit they can tell you whether you will benefit from that benefit over taking your own benefit. You can call social security or go to your local social security office and ask them to check on an ex-spouse benefit for you. They will tell you if you will benefit from applying for that benefit, or if your benefit is already so high that the spouse benefit will not result in any benefit increase for you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating, It is greatly appreciated,