dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

X husband's birthday can i file for spousal benefits? I an

Customer Question

X husband's birthday can i file for spousal benefits? I an 64 and already on SS
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i am 64 and on SSI and SS on my own account already. My ex husband and i were married for 23 years. I would like to apply for spousal benefits but he dies not turn 62 until february 13 2017. when can I apply for (ex) sposal benefits?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: npo that i can think of, we were married a total of about 23 years , i am disabled but do not receive disability we have been divorced officially about 12 years
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If he died you may be eligible for widows benefits based on his records, which will be higher than spousal benefits. To qualify you must be unmarried and both of you at least 62. If you applied for any type of SS benefits before your full retirement age of 66, you will not qualify for 100% of his benefits. You will receive your own OR widows benefits, whichever are higher.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?