Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wifes social security number was stolen and is being used…

Customer Question
My wifes social security...

My wifes social security number was stolen and is being used to open

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife's social security number was stolen, should I report this to the social security administration?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

The recipient has tried to open fraudulent credit cards.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
10/5/2016
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Social security administration will not do anything about but if your wife is receiving social security benefits you want to notify them.

The first thing you need to do is to notify all credit report agencies to place a lock on her credit inquiries so nobody can open any financial account or loan or credit card without her being notified. The credit agencies are Transuinion, Equifax and Expirian.

You will also want to notify the IRS, chances are if somebody stole her social security number, he most likely has enough information to file a fraudulent return. And finally you want to file a report with the police in case her identity is or will be compromised or stolen.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?