How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my husband retired 2 1/2 yrs ago, my disabled daughter

Customer Question

When my husband retired 2 1/2 yrs ago, my disabled daughter started collecting social security benefits under him instead of SSI. They then also told me I was eligible to collect social security under him for being my daughters total care giver. Now I am a month and a half from turning 62, am I also eligible to collect social security under my spouse for being primarily a stay at home Mom for 40 plus years? Or is what I get for her my benefit ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are already receiving surviving benefits (benefits based on your late husband's records). The reason why you were eligible for surviving/widows benefits before 62 is because you have a dependent - his/your daughter. Surviving benefits are higher than spousal and if you were stay at home mom for 40 years, you probably do not have enough credits to qualify on your records, unless you earned good income for 10 years.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I never said my husband was deceased! I am not collecting survivor benefits! So never mind! I am dissatisfied! I am canceling! I would like a refund!