How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the father of a daughter who is disabled in a skilled

Customer Question

I am the father of a daughter who is disabled in a skilled nursing home and is on SSI. There is an overage in the payments to the home. How can I legally handle those monies as I have Power of Attorney. Can she give to charity? or what other options?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: None at this time, thank you.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi. ... I can help here ... My name's Lane


Monthly benefit payments can be spent on everyday living expenses and daily support needs. These can include any and all of the items listed under the authorized Dedicated Account spending, as well as the following:

  • food
  • clothing
  • shelter
  • insurance costs
  • medical care
  • child care expenses
  • furnishing
  • personal comfort items


The primary determinant is that (once food, clothing, shelter, and medical care have been covered) it enhances her life in some way.


SO sorry, but giving to charity is not acceptable.


Are there additional services that the skilled nursing facility (such as therapy of some kind for her) offers?

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Any monthly benefits that are not needed to pay for your child’s current-month expenses must be saved for future use.


Many people find the easiest method for keeping track of their child’s benefit balance and spending details is to have a separate checking and/or savings account specifically for the overages. and always show that it is being accounted for and would be used for additiional expenses that arise.