dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Is it true that if a disabled adult child works before age

Customer Question

Is it true that if a disabled adult child works before age 22, they are ineligible to collect benefits on parents record?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The child can work but cannot have substantial earnings, in 2016 it is $1130 a month. If the child has the ability to earn more than the minimum stated by SSA, he is not considered disabled for social security purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This goes back to 1987. I started working in December and my Birthday is ***** 8th and I turned 22 that year. I earned 288.63 for that year.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If I am calculating it correctly, you were born in 1994. How you could be working in 1987?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born in 1965. I started on ssi in 1984 and started working in December of 1987. I turned 22 on December 8th 1987.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

It's been almost 30 years ago. The statute of limitation expired long time ago.