How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13521
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have tried to use the calculators but cant figure them

Customer Question

good morning.....I have tried to use the calculators but cant figure them out. i am wanting to retire now from my job. i am 59. i want to see how much i will draw from Social Security when I am 62
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Do i need to go see an Accountant?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

This is more a SS issue than an accountant issue, so I am happy to help.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

You can go now go to

From there you create a passworded account for yourself with the SSA. You then login (remember your login details) and order which ever of the several documents you wish to download or order. In your case, you are going to look for the Annual Social Security Earnings Statement.

There are other helpful documents,including 1099s (once you start collecting), benefits verification, etc. You can change your banking info, your address, etc., should the need arise.

Note that the Annual earnings statement will have an estimate of your age 62 amount. Only an estimate. If you have 35 years of work earnings already, and your current income, if continued, would not have exceeded any of the prior 35 by much, then stopping work now will not greatly effect that age 62 amount.

For a more exacting number, you need to master the calculator, and input your Annual statement earnings figures you see, in the proper years' slots.

Note also that by choosing to collect at 62, you are choosing to collect 8 more years of benefits (8*12 = 96 monthly payments) than if you waited til age 70 to start collecting. The trade off is that your benefit is substantially less per month, permanently. So you want to make sure you can live on that amount if you have no other retirement income once you stop working forever.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!