Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am looking to increase my income living in a mobile home,

Customer Question

I am looking to increase my income living in a mobile home, legally separated. my SS is $804, his is $1704 last I heard. I'm told I can possibly increase taking from his now or if we divorce.
he wrote to me that I can possibly increase mine now as he did some research.
please reply...thank you for all you do
judith
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. At what age did you first begin receiving your SS retirement benefits?

You can get a spousal benefit if you divorce as long as you do not remarry as long as you have been married for at least 10 years. you can get 50% of your spouse's benefit depending on when you retired. If you retired at age 62 for example, the early retirement penalty will decrease your 50% spousal benefit to 32.5%. You also cannot receive both benefits, you can only receive the higher of the two benefits so you will not get a spousal benefit in addition to your own retirement benefit. You will only get an increase if the spousal benefit is higher than your own benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl