How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3368
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom passed away and we just got the death certificate.

Customer Question

My mom passed away and we just got the death certificate. Where do I send it?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Who would that be?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: She had a will, but we can't find it and she wouldn't tell us where it is.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my sincere sympathy on the passing of your mom.

You will want to call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to report your mom's death. They can be reached between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The representative you speak to will tell you to which office you should mail the death certificate.

If she was receiving any type of pension, you will want to contact them to report her death. If she had any bank accounts, you will need to go to the bank(s) and show them the death certificate.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 9 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,