emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My wife is 63 she will be FRA(66) Nov 2019. On March 2019

Customer Question

My wife is 63 she will be FRA(66) Nov 2019. On March 2019 does she have the option of taking my 1/2 of my FRA earned social security or her own earned social security. I will be FRA(66) Nov 2017 and do not plan to start taking my social security until Nov 2021? Will she continue to be able to take 1/2 of my earned SS at my FRA as long as she and I live?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Because she was 62 at the end of 2015, she still file restricted application - apply for lower spousal benefits and let her own to grow until 70. After April 2016 this option is only limited to retires born on or before 1953. However for her to qualify for spousal benefits you will need to apply for your own benefits first. If she applies before her full retirement age, she will not have an option to choose, she will automatically receive the highest benefits available to her: her own or spousal. At full retirement age she can choose to take spousal and let her own grow or take her own.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?