Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My wife worked as an AODA counselor for 27 years. She was

Customer Question
diagnosed Bi-Polar and had numerous...
My wife worked as an AODA counselor for 27 years. She was diagnosed Bi-Polar and had numerous hospitalizations the last year of her employment. She was able to qualify for Social security benefits based on her disability. She received the benefits until she reached retirement age for approximately 4 to 5 years. She received regular Social Security benefits. She has suffered many small strokes and one larger stroke in the last 4 years and has a lot of difficulty with her memory and with any daily functions. She had Colon surgery in 2015 and has recently been diagnosed with Colitis. I as her husband care for her deeply and have to take care of her in our home. She can't drive anymore and cannot perform daily chores or cooking. I still work full time at 68 years old and feel overwhelmed at times with all the work of caring for her and keeping up with the household chores, doctor appointments and the cost of all of it. My question to you: Is there any benefits that we can receive from the Social Security Administration for the care of my wife? I do not want to put her in a home, as I think it would kill her to be away from me and our little dog. Please help me in any way possible. I can provide you with any other information you may need. Doctor documentation or any other information.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi... Looks like no on is piecking this up. I can help here

...

First, I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties. I think, however, I can help best - in the long haul - by providing food information.

...

Once someone turns full retirement age, Social Security disabilitiy benefits are no longer available.

...

Had your wife been ON disability, for example, when she turned age 66 this would have automatically converted to Old Age (retirement) Social Security.

...

Now, once someone becomes eligible for a different benefit (say, a survivor benfiit when a spouse passes) if that benefit woud be higher that be benefit already being received by the surviving souse (a spousal benefit, a benefit on their own work record, or even a disability benefit if the surviving spouse were not yet 66) THEN, the benefit would be take up TO that higher amount.

...

But benefits cannot be "stakced," as SSA puts it.

...

Again, so sorry to be the messenger, but want to get good information to you.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

...

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS