How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4677
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my wife change her social security direct deposit

Customer Question

Can my wife change her social security direct deposit information if she has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Her children are coercing her to so take over her funds.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: She was diagnosed with Alzheimers and in her state of delusions, she has communicated to her adult children that she doesn't trust me anymore, her husband of 5 years and relationship of over 20 years. They say they want to take her social security check and set her up in an apartment. I can't imagine my wife staying alone in an apartment with this terrible disease. They've already coerced her into taking 400 dollars out of savings account and if I hadn't taken her name off the account right away, they would taken out an addition 4000 the same day. I'm not sure, as her husband, what I can do to protect my wife.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Not at this time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I will try to assist.

First, I'm sorry for you and these issues. I went through this myself in caring for a parent.

Second, social security assumes people can manage their own affairs until they indicate they can not. So, she can draw on accounts, change them, or take any steps she wishes until they recognize her condition or you act to intervene.

You can get yourself appointed as a representative payee, which would give you control over her account and benefits. But, if you have a dispute with her or others about how best to manage, I suggest that you find a way to make the peace with all involved to fix things.

Your alternative may be legal action in which you may have to prove she is incompetent and that you must be appointed as per of attorney over her affairs. This is costly, not just for the legal talent involved, but for the emotional cost. For everyone.

I suggest that you meet with the children, even going so far as to offer them a review of how her benefits have been spent over the last 6 months or so, to prove there is nothing unseemly for them to be concerned about.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Since you have protected the account used to deposit her funds, she would have to go to social security, online or in person, to change the account. She'll need a new account, and to change her social security deposit information. Both interactions are opportunities for others to evaluate her and perhaps see she is not able. That may stop any changes from occurring.

You might also check to see if she executed a health care proxy and or will that might give you authority to act.

Lastly, good luck in what you are being asked to do. You may need an attorney's services if the dispute continues, some community elder agencies can assist in what you need, such as referral to an attorney who can assist.

Please rate my assistance if I have addressed your questions. I'mCustomer

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.Customerhere.

I am just following up to see if you need anything further. Please ask if you do. If I have covered the subject for you, please rate my assistance to close out your request (it's month end). I'mCustomer