How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a year old single woman and disabled since 2004. I

Customer Question

I am a 69 year old single woman and disabled since 2004. I began receiving disability benefits from Social Security in 2007 (court ordered also retroactive benefits in a lump sum). Here is my question: I lived alone in New Hampshire until 2010. I was reaching the point where I was needing more and more outside help with lifestyle issues - I cannot drive anymore and need rides to medical appts, someone to grocery shop for me, etc. I received a phone call from a family member telling me that my former husband's second wife had passed away (we were divorced before my disabiling accident). I sent him a card; he called me long distance from his home in Colorado. We struck-up a new/old friendship. I told him about my failing health, he told me about his lonliness, and we came up with what has become a Godsend for both of us. I moved into his home in Colorado where I have my own bedroom/bathroom area at one end of the house, and his is at the other end. We meet in the middle for the kitchen! The part that is becoming our potential "undoing" is money. Each of us lives only on our individual Social Security Retirement checks. I have become a serious financial liability to him and I know it. Is there some provision in the Social Security system for extra money paid to someone who takes care of a disabled person living with them?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Only that my name is ***** ***** I have a lot dependent on your answer today.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.