How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15610
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am near my 62nd birthday and still working earning more

Customer Question

I am near my 62nd birthday and still working earning more than $200k per year. My wife is almost 66 years of age and will continue to work for the foreseeable future. She has decided not to start receiving social security until age 70 because her benefit at that time will be substantially higher since she went back to work later in life. Her benefit at age 66 would only be about $1000 per month whereas if she waits until age 70 her benefit would be closer to $1800 per month.
My question: am I able to collect one-half of her benefit when I turn 62?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you would not be allowed to choose just a spousal benefit. Plus, at your earning level for wages, SSA would reduce your benefits.

If you qualify for benefits on your own record, SSA will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.