How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A family member just became a resident. From 2006 to 2012 he

Customer Question

a family member just became a resident. From 2006 to 2012 he used a tax id to do his taxes. Before that he used a fake SSN. he is 74 is he eligible for SS Retirement or for supplemental SSi?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: np
JA: What else should I tell the Retirement Accountant?
Customer: that is it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To qualify for social security benefits he needs 40 credits. To earn 40 credits a person must work at least 10 years, earning 4 credits each year. If he used fake social security number or was not legally working in the country, he will not qualify for social security benefits. I am sorry.

But he may qualify for supplemental security income. Here are requirements:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned he does not have enough tax credits. He used two different numbers to file his taxes. One I think was a fake number then in 2006 he received his tax id number and started to use it.
In 1999 he reported taxes but it was with a wrong/Fake SSn but he did work.
2005 earned 6277 but did not use his tax id number to do his taxes
2011 he earned $6618 and he used his SSA given tax id number
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

As long as he was legally permitted to work in the country a tax ID (ITIN) is fine. But if he used a fake social security number that he has a problem. Employers report earnings to social security and to the IRS using employees social security number. If he used fake social security number, most likely no earnings were reported. There's a 3 year window to correct social security earnings. Social security will not make any correction for 2005. We would need to have original W2 with his social security number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if he has the w2s from when he worked with the fake SSN, will SS give him those credits? Name is ***** ***** just SSN was a fake one.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Depending who will handle his case but most likely the agent will ask for other proof that he actually worked for this employer legaly. The reason why socials security numbers are used is because it is unique to that person. You can have 150 ***** *****'s in state of CA but only one will have this particular social security number. And even after death of this person, the number is ***** allowed to be used for some many years. If the number is ***** by one or two digits, it could be explained as a honest mistake, a typo. But how does he explain that he useg ITIN in later years if he already had social security number? You will not get tax ID if you already had social security number. So the next question would be, if he used the wrong/fake SS# ***** he working in the country legally? If not, he will not get any credits.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Does it makes sense? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

SSI is need based benefits, like unemployment, for instance. Regular social security is based on your work records. The immigration is not a problem, even nonresident can receive regular social security benefits as long as they were legally authorized to work in the country when they earned the credits. In 2005 getting a social security number with a work permit was not a problem. I can only guess why your family member used fake SS# *****