How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3440
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do if my marriage status changes but kept

Customer Question

what do I need to do if my marriage status changes but kept my maiden name
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My partner of 50 years (both female ) have married; Do we need to advise social security of our status. We both kept our maiden name
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know of anything. Unless you cant think of something I need to know.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unless you are changing your names or currently receiving social security benefits (like disability), you do not need to notify social security or the IRS. When you file your tax return, you will have to file it jointly or separately, you will not be able to file as singles.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?