How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get the max amount from SS

Customer Question

how can I get the max amount from SS
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The simple answer to your question is that you will want to earn a $100,000 annual salary for at least 35 years.

Your benefit is based on the income that you earned over the highest 35 years of your working life. If you didn’t work 35 years, then some years will be considered as zeros in the equation. First social security takes all income that you earned in a lifetime and for which you paid social security taxes. They then apply a multiplication factor to it according to what year you earned it in, to make up for the fact that earning $5,000 in 1960 was worth more than $5,000 today---so they multiply the 1960 income by a given number. In other words, earning $10,000in 1960 is the equivalent of earning $107,300 in 2013. They then add all of those numbers (years of income after the multiplication has been done) up and divide it, first by 35(years), and again by 12 (months), to get an average monthly income. Here is a table that you can actually use to determine the adjusted average monthly income that social security will use to determine your benefit amount:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?