How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15319
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mother just passed away 9.5.16, not sure of what forms dad

Customer Question

Mother just passed away 9.5.16, not sure of what forms dad needs to fill out? Do you need copy or original death certificate and if original, would it be better to walk into office?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Mom didn't work outside of the home much, in fact very little. But the did own properties and were considered self employed. With that said, I would think that there maybe some money paid into S.S.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I'm ready.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

You should let Social Security know when a person dies as soon as possible.

Usually, the funeral director will report the person’s death to Social Security. You’ll have needed to give your mother's Social Security number to the funeral director so he or she could have made the report.

SSA pays a one-time payment of $255 to the surviving spouse. Your father may be able to receive survivor benefits as a widower.

If you still need to report your mother's death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-****.

They will need the death certificate.