How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12050
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turned 65 Jan. 2, 2016, because I am still working and

Customer Question

I turned 65 Jan. 2, 2016, because I am still working and have an HRA with my employer, I did not sign up for Part A Medicare. Now I am being told I had to sign up for Part A or be penalized, is that true? I plan to retire in 2017 so should I sign up in Oct. or Nov. of this year since I will be 66 in January 2017?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you should sign up ... There is no cost to part A.


HRAs are considered to be Group Health Plans (GHPs) and thus HRA coverage is subject to Section 111 Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) Reporting.


So you could hhave had Medicare and the HRA together potentially to cover more of your costs, depending on your circumstance.


If you aren't eligible for premium-free Part A, and you don't buy it when you're first eligible, your monthly premium may go up 10%. You'll have to pay the higher premium for twice the number of years you could have had Part A, but didn't sign up

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no crediting for the work here.


Thank you!


I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986