How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Spouse passed away July, 2016. Social Security sent letter

Customer Question

Spouse passed away July, 2016. Social Security sent letter stating benefits I would receive. Next sentence says but we cannot pay you at this time. "Windfall offset". I worked for 18 years for a local government that did not allow its employees to pay in into the Social Security. I also worked and paid Social Security taxes for 18 years, retired early to care for husband. My husband was sick for over 15 years with addiction to prescription pain medication which added to his numerous illnesses. I cared for my husband the entire time in and out of hospitals, rehab centers, nursing homes, doctors offices and more. I depended on his income, and now I cannot benefit. I will lose a full income. What can I do. Gloria in Florida.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad about a year and a half ago, so I can empathize with your pain.

However, I am very sorry but there is really not much that can be done. Since you worked for the local government, your benefit is reduced by 2/3 of your local government pension. This is called the Government Pension OFfset and it's the result of the reforms from 1986.

You can side-step those if you work and pay into social security for 30 years. However, you did not. You will be able to get a small amount off your own account, which will also be reduced but not eliminated. Most of the time, your own benefit with the reduction is greater than the survivor benefit with the offset.

I wish I had better news for you. It's very unfortunate that they do not have exceptions in situations like this. The reforms were intended to keep people from working outside social security and within social security and drawing large pensions from both -- which would be disadvantageous to those who only worked for social security. I am so, very, very sorry.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I sue the prescription drug companies?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

You are able to sue anyone for anything, however your chances on being successful depend on your case and you should have a malpractice attorney review your case for more detailed answers to that particular question - You should be able to do that for free (get an attorney to review the particulars of hte case)

Please let me know if you need anything additional. IF not, please rate postiive.