How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3440
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm receiving my ss after I retire at 62. I'm divorce, my ex

Customer Question

I'm receiving my ss after I retire at 62. I'm divorce, my ex husband pass away, if his ss is more than mine do I have any rights to investigate if I cualified for his ss, I never remarried, he remarried but his wife pass way many years ago and he never remarried, I'm 73 years old.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You may be eligible for widows/surviving benefits based on your ex-spouse records as long as you were married for at least 10 years. But because you took your benefits at 62, you permanently reduced all your benefits available to you, including widows benefits. It means that you will not get 100% of his benefits, more like 70-75%. For actual amount you will need to visit your local office or call 1-***-***-**** to talk to an agent. You cannot apply for widow's benefits online.

Related Social Security Questions