How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15596
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ial security and va disability How much money can I make

Customer Question

ial security and va disability How much money can I make before I have to file
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am tryng to buy a house and they want to know why I haven,t filled taxes for the last couple of years
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

VA disability is not taxable nor will it by itself make your SS taxable. So you can receive as much of those as you possibly want and still not be required to file.

If you have other sources of income then you may have to file and some of the SS could be taxable.

You have to file a return if your taxable income is more than your personal exemption and standard deduction amount. This changes every year because the personal exemption changes.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

For 2016 that amount will be $10350 for single individuals. So if you have other income than the VA or SS that may mean you have to file a return.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)