How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just rec'd info that told me i could collect my deceased

Customer Question

i just rec'd info that told me i could collect my deceased husbands benefits can i get them retro active form when he passed?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social security has only very limited retroactive benefit availability. However, if you are at least 66 1/2 years old and your spouse passed away more than 6 months ago, you will qualify for a 6-month retroactive survivor benefit. Unfortunately, it is not possible for anyone to collect a retroactive survivor benefit of greater longer 6 months.

So if you are over 66 1/2, then yes, you may apply for a retroactive social security survivor benefit.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it may not have been particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best,


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ty now my next questiion is how do i cancel sub and you were excellant