How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3801
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a niece who receives SSI. I would like to assist her

Customer Question

I have a niece who receives SSI . I would like to assist her with housing. Question: How much money is she allowed to receive monthly without being penalized
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

"In-kind income is relevant when someone is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. SSI beneficiaries can have their monthly benefit payment reduced if they earn any other income. Income is defined as:

  • wages from working
  • pensions
  • SSDI benefits, and
  • in-kind income (including ISM).

If you receive SSI benefits and someone provides you with shelter and/or food that you don’t pay for, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will reduce your monthly SSI payment to account for this in-kind support and maintenance, according to specific ISM rules. “Shelter” includes things like rent/mortgage payments, property taxes, and utility bills, but doesn’t include phone and cable bills, or any medical costs. Other types of in-kind income, such as goods given as gifts to you, are simply valued at their current market value and subtracted from your SSI payment like other income. "

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,