How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from the State of Massachusetts and I had been

Customer Question

I retired from the State of Massachusetts and I had been receiving my deceased ex-husband's social security as we were married for 25 years. After retiring on 6/30/2015 ss shut down my benefits on my ex's ss and made me open up a case under my own ss#. My benefits were $1,000 less than my ex's. The state of MA takes 2/3 of benefits away because I get a pension, but is it legal for ss to close my case under his ss #?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but there are two provisions in the law that serve to oimit (and sometimes eliminate) the social secrity benefit youi recevied (if you did not have 30+ year in Social Secuity and had a government pension) ... (1) WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) which reduces the benefit on your own record and (2) GPO Government Pension Offset which reduces (and if your government pension is large enough) can eliminate your Social Securty survivor benefit.