How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 l have had my card since 1978 did not know it had to be

Customer Question

1 l have had my green card since 1978 did not know it had to be renewed every 2 yrs,will my card be recinded or will l be denied one.
#2 wanting to go back to England [ in October ] l wiil be living with my brother and family ,until l l find my own accomidation.
#3 l recive Social Security,a V A pension from my husband ,I will be depending on these to support my self.
#4 Will I lose my benifits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Permanent green card has to be renewed every 10 years. The first conditional card issued for 2 years had to be renewed after 2 years, if you didn't you lost it. Which means you may not be eligible to collect social security benefits. I would suggest to visit your local immigration office as soon as possible and apply for a new card immediately. You will not be able to return to US with expired conditional card.