How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Since I can't collect social security, can I stop from

Customer Question

since I can't collect social security, can I stop from paying social security tax and still get my medicare?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a retired Texas school nurse and receive and annuity monthly. This a state fund. But Social security says I cannot receive my social security, (I'm 67) nor my deceased husband's because I am under TRS and my annuity is more than my social security. Social security is Federal ,so I am confused. If I can't collect at least my husband's social security then why should I pay into it. My other concern is, if I stop my social security taxes, can I still get my Medicare ?
JA: Because the Retirement Accountant will solve your problem quickly right now and for a fraction of the cost of seeing an in-person Retirement Accountant. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you work for an employer that is covered under social security, your employer is required to withhold social security and Medicare tax. you cannot opt out or stop paying it. You will still qualify for Medicare if

  1. You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident, and
  2. You have resided in the United States for a minimum of five years
  3. Worked at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 12 months ago.


I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years, and I'll be happy to help you.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 12 months ago.


I'm Anne, and I have a different answer for you.

The vast majority of Texas school districts do not participate in Social Security, so employees in those districts are entitled to Social Security benefits only if they paid into that system through other employment (for at least 40 quarters) or through their spouses. However, federal law reduces, or in some cases eliminates, the amount of Social Security benefits received in those situations

If you retire from a district that does not participate in Social Security but are eligible for benefits through your spouse, the GPO will reduce the amount of your spousal or survivor benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your TRS pension. Please see below:

Although you still qualify for Medicare, you should not be paying into Social Security, so there should be nothing to change there.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.