How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15722
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband of over 10 years started collecting his ss

Customer Question

My ex husband of over 10 years started collecting his ss benefits on his 64th birthday this year( born 1952-feb). I am 64 as of sept 2016 (born 1952-sep) QUESTION- can I start collecting 50% of his benefits now and switch over to mine at full retirement age (66) for us. I am getting two different answers from two different financial advisors - one saying yes and the other saying no- i would have to wait till i am full retirement age to collect on his and then could later (70) stop his and collect then on mine....
Can you advise me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

SSA advises the following:

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

When you apply they will look at all possible payments to you. You cannot just request the spousal benefit unfortunately.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am checking back to see if you needed me to clarify.