Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My son has a severe mental illness and did not keep his

Customer Question

My son has a severe mental illness and did not keep his request for a psych eval.
Is there any way to appeal a decision to terminate his SSI, if he is unwilling to cooperate?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

Really if this is happening and he is not competent then you might think about getting a court ordered guardianship. At that point you can deal with SSI yourself and have him participate in whatever is necessary to keep his benefits. Having his physician document this would help but until he is considered incompetent and you gain guardianship there is nothing you can do because he has to initiate these things to stay eligible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?