How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I called the social security office to schedule an

Customer Question

I called the social security office to schedule an appointment to begin getting full benefits when I turn 66 this December. During my conversation, it came up that I was a widow and the representative told me I should have been receiving benefits from my husbands social security since his death, which was 12/18/14. He apologized that someone from the social security administration had not helped me with this. I did make a call when my husband passed to notify them of his death and nothing was said. My question is can the social security administration be made to give me what they should have since his death. It would not be much but it would be helpful.
Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you applied for any type of social security benefits, including widow/survivor benefits before your full retirement age, you would permanently reduce your own but also all other benefits available to you now or in the future. You can apply for widows benefits now at your full retirement age and receive 100% of your late spouse's benefits. But you cannot apply for benefits retroactively.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?