How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7191
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does ss have any programs to help retired people who are

Customer Question

does ss have any programs to help retired people who are suffering with respiratory problems get air and heat in their homes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I received no answer to my question

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

Not specifically for air or heat from the Social Security Administration.

However, depending upon your financial circumstances and the state you reside in, you should check with your state's Public Assistance department to see what financial assistance may be available based upon your financial situation.

Also, if you are not already receiving assistance via your state's food assistance program using an "EBT" card (formerly known as "Food Stamps") you may also qualify for that financial assistance.

As far as your utility costs are concerned, I would start with your utility company and ask what financial assistance is available for low income customers. There are several programs that you may qualify for. Usually there is what is called the "Good Neighbor Fund" administered by the Utility itself that provides assistance for your utility bills.

There is also a program for Energy Assistance in terms of more efficient appliances such as a refrigerator, stove or possibly even a new heating/cooling system. They also provide upgrades to your insulation, windows, light bulbs, etc. You utility company can refer you to the proper program for this that is in your geographical area.

Those items should be a good start and you may find that any one of those programs has references to other programs for seniors and/or low income households.

Another great source of information would be at you local Community or Senior Center in your city or town or one that covers your county, parish or other municipal entity. It doesn't have to be in your own town.

One other idea if you need assistance with paying Medicare or other Insurance Co-Pays or Prescription costs, your state (again your local Public Assistance Office) may have a program that you qualify to assist with those costs.

Your Senior or Community Center should be able to direct you to the proper program for that assistance, and/or your local pharmacy can also provide that information for programs administered by most Drug Manufacturers, that would apply to your specific prescriptions.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have any further questions, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you already made to the site.

Thanks very much for using

Steve G.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no such help in this area. I don't need food stamps I need to get help

with my air and heat system because of my condition

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

Well, I'm sorry but Social Security does not have any such programs.

As I said, the only programs that are available (these are funded nationally by grants administered by Public Utilities or by related organizations that they have established or work with); If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you check with the utilities that service your geographical area. They are required by the terms of the grants to inform the public of any programs that may be available from time to time. Some of the programs are continuing, and some are new or revised each year.

That would be a reliable source of information of what, if anything, is available in your area. It is definitely worth a try if you haven't checked on that lately.

If there is any type of movable equipment that would assist or alleviate your medical condition and is advised or recommend by your physician, you should check with Medicare to see if they would pay for the rental of the equipment, which eventually would become yours at no cost to you. For example, they will pay for CPAP machines and similar equipment that assist in the respiratory area. An excellent source of this information, is your local Medical Supply company. They will also handle all the administrative work to apply to Medicare, set up & provide the equipment and monitor it to ensure that it is effective in alleviating or assisting your medical condition

Other than that, there are no specific programs available to meet the specific need that you have stated.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in....................

Have you had a chance to view my additional response this morning?

Do you have any follow-up questions, or can I be of any further assistance on this question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit (payment) for responding to your question. Without a rating, I am not compensated.

There is no charge for providing me with a rating.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.