How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2309
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is disable and receives an SSI check monthly. He

Customer Question

My brother is disable and receives an SSI check monthly. He has moved to new assisted living facility and we need to give SSI a new mailing address. I am his POA and have his SS id card and photocopy of expired Texas drivers license. What will we need to do/go to make this change?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The fastest and easiest way to change the address with Social Security is to do it online at By providing answers to a series of questions you can change your address electronically. You will receive a confirmation letter letting you know that the address was changed.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You misunderstood my question. The change of address is not for me but rather my brother. The SS change of address procedure specifically says an account cannot be created for another person even if one has power of attorney. The main SS # has a recording that continually says they are busy and to call back later.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry the there are three ways to change the address: you can do it online, you can call SSA 1-***-***-**** (or your local office), or you can go into your local office. It sounds like you already have tried calling. I am sorry that they do not make it easy. They do not have a form that you can mail.