keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My brother-in-law is applying for SSI disability, someone

Customer Question

My brother-in-law is applying for SSI disability, someone told him that his wife made too much money for him to qualify, she makes approx. $28,000.per year? Is this correct
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

That is not correct.

Do Not confuse SSI with SSDI.

SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is not means tested. His wife's income would have nothing to do with his qualification for SSDI.

The only restriction comes about in how much he could earn while receiving SSDI benefits. There are complicated rules in this regard, but as with most things with the government, there are a myriad of exceptions, "if, and or buts", but suffice it to say that if he qualifies for SSDI his earning capacity will be very limited.

He should apply for SSDI, as I said his wife's earning will have no bearing on his ability to qualify; it is based solely on his medical condition and limitations related thereto.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for my share of the payment you have already make to the site.

Thanks very much for using JustAnswer.com

Just checking in....................

I see that you had a chance to view my response.

Do you have any follow-up questions, or can I be of any further assistance on this question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit (payment) for responding to your question. Without a rating, I am not compensated.

There is no charge for providing me with a rating.

Thanks very much,

Questions?

If there is a problem, please let me know & I will respond promptly.

Are you having any difficulties with our rating system?

I ask because sometimes it seems to act up and is confusing to customers. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment that you have already made to the site. Otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts on your behalf.

Thanks again,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in.................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,