How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13544
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My deceased sister passed away in March, 2016. Her husband

Customer Question

My deceased sister passed away in March, 2016. Her husband and only child are deceased. Social Security notified me that she was due a check. I am her next of kin and I was willed any and all assets that she had but I know that even though I was her Power of Attorney, Health Care Representative and and Successor Trustee all of these things ceased upon her death.
Social Security sent me a letter asking for a Certified copy of my letters of appointment as the deceased's legal representative. I don't have anything like that and my question is what exactly are they asking for.
You can contact me at***@******.***
Thank you for any help or advice that you can give me.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I received your 1st message
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

In order for your sister's estate/belongings to pass to her beneficiaries under her will - which I believe you say you are her sole beneficiary under her will - you generally need to open probate in the county court where she lived when she passed. You can petition to be the representative of her estate, so you can use her moneys and gather her assets to pay her debts first, and then the net estate goes to the beneficiary (you). When you do that, you get "letters" from the court, proving you are in charge of the estate and it gives you the authority with the SSA to collect her SS check.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!