ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

I am retiired, I am also the payee for my minor child who

Customer Question

I am retiired, I am also the payee for my minor child who will be 18 soon. I get a letter from SS saying they want any benefit money I might have saved for this minor child sent back, I am so confused, they give it, now they want it back!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Here I the rules, surrounding the Social Security for a minor:

Children's benefits are available to the dependent minors of retirement and disability beneficiaries. The child must be unmarried and under the age of 18, or 19 or younger and still a full-time high school student up to grade 12. These benefits amount to up to half of the principal beneficiary's benefit. Social Security imposes a "family maximum" that a single household can draw, up to 180 percent of the principal beneficiary's benefit. Children may also be eligible for Supplemental Security Income if they suffer from a disabling condition and meet Social Security's income and resource limits.

Would you be able to attach the letter, whiting out any privacy information, such as social security #? I will look at it. Thank you.

You can be, also, reconsidered or ask for a waiver. Here is the website for both applications:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-632.html?vt_session_id=673644F0712411E68581BC764E11209A

Hope this helps. Thank you.

I am very sorry to hear about the letter. Let me know if you would like me to review the letter and/or if you have any further questions. If not, a positive rating would be very much appreciated. Wishing you well.

Hi. If you have any questions, let me know. If not, a positive rating is very much appreciated. Thank you. *****