LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I work in DE and live in NJ. Is my severence pay subject to

Customer Question

I work in DE and live in NJ. Is my severence pay subject to taxes and Social security? Can I collect pension and social security with my severence pay?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening Rosemary,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, severance pay is subject to all typical tax withholding including social security taxes.

Yes, presuming that you qualify for a pension, you may collect your pension and social security retirement benefits at the same time you are receiving severance.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening Rosemary,

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug