How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4475
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are receiving SS. He is 68 and I will be 70

Customer Question

My husband and I are receiving SS. He is 68 and I will be 70 in Oct. We adopted our granddaughter and receive SS for her. She will be 18 inn Feb. She keeps moving in and out ofour house. Her boyfriend is abusive and has long history of drug use. Her therapist says she needs to be placed in facility to deal with her emotional issues. She is now attempting to get her SS benefits sent to her. I am still trying to pay off or have already paid out of pockket for hospital and medical bills that we have from her being sent to facility for overdose of drugs and violent behavior, car accident, another medical facility plus therapist, medications and family doctor. Does she have the right to take the SS away from us so it can go to her. I need that check to continue to pay for therapy for her younger sister and I so we can deal with her issues. I realize SS will end for her in Feb but was hoping to pay down these bills. Therapist wants her in long term treatment for her mental issues which I will be paying for even after she is 18.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 9 months ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I will assist.

SSA does not pay benefits directly to a child under age 18. And, if she is not living with you, she is no longer eligible for dependent benefits. She does not have the right to request benefits be paid directly to her.

I hope that provides some insight into the SSA response. She could request a review of how her benefits are being spent, but it sounds like you pay more for her care than you receive.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer