How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19127
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an American citizen that's lived out of the country for

Customer Question

I'm an American citizen that's lived out of the country for most of my life. I live in Europe now & want to move back to the States, but have many health issues & need to beable to see a Doctor & get my medicin. how do I get social security, befor I move back to the States?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Could you explain a little more?

Were you collecting Social Security benefits before you moved out of the Country?

If not, are you eligible to collect Social Security benefits?

Did you work and contribute to the Social Security system?

How old are you?

Are you disabled?

Thank you for the information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was 9 months old when I left the States. I've never worked in the States. I've never collect Social Security. I lived in Canada from 1965-1998. I was on disability from 1995-1998 when I moved to Denmark, I've been on disability there since, but my Mother moved to Canada & I'm all alone there & want to move closer to my family in Canada.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Since you have never worked, you would need to file for Supplemental Security Income ("SSI"). This is a program for the elderly and disabled who have very limited income and resources and did not work long enough or worked at all to qualify for regular Social Security disability benefits. If your application is approved, you would receive benefits from both the State and the federal government. You can also apply for Medicaid for medical insurance.

Click on the links below for information on how to apply for the benefits.

Goodluck with your application.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.