How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3792
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I plan to retire at 62 on 12/12/2016. My husband is retired

Customer Question

I plan to retire at 62 on 12/12/2016. My husband is retired and draws social security. My question is can I draw my husbands social security or my own, and which way will give me the best benefit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you’ve worked for at least 10 years and earned a minimum of 40 work credits, you are vested in the Social Security system.  Once you reach age 62, you will be eligible for your own Social Security benefit whether you’re married or not and whether your husband collects Social Security or not.

Most women are potentially due two benefits: your own retirement benefit and wife’s benefit on your husband’s record.  But you only get the one that pays the higher rate, not both.  A wife is due between one-third and one-half of her husband’s Social Security.  Most working women who reach retirement age get their own Social Security benefit because it’s more than one-third to one-half of the husband’s rate.  But if your husband dies before you, you can apply for the higher widow’s rate.

The following link contains excellent information that you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,